Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cartegena and Taganga

Cartagena itself, whilst definitely a beautiful, interesting and history-filled place just didn´t really captivate me in the way I had assumed it would. I guess this was mostly to do with the fact that I had by now seen half a dozen of these restored colonial cities and was finding it a bit hard to get excited about old(ish) buildings.

The big fort overlooking town


Still my visit did include a day out at the mud volcano, bobbing around with 20 other backpackers in lukewarm, slightly stinky mud with the consistency of thick cream:



glad I had a shower before I left the hostel


not so clean now



time to rinse off in the lagoon


Next stop was the small fishing village of Taganga four hours away for more some scuba diving to keep my skills up and some lazing around on the beach. I shared a cab from Santa Marta, the city in the next bay, with Kassia, a Brazilian girl Id met on the bus, and rocked up at a small hostel some friends had recommended to her, hostel Chez Moi. Turned out to be the best hostel I´ve stayed in all trip, mostly due to the two Colombian owners, Angie and Cata, being two of the most fun, welcoming and friendly people in the world.

kinda Mexican landscapes around town, lots of lizards and cactuses

These lizards where absolutely everywhere


The diving turned out to be a no go as the visibility was terrible due to the recent rain however the beach was still lovely and just chilling in the hostel with a few beers and heaps of good people was more than reason enough to stay for a week.



The second afternoon we had a painting/drinking session (always a great mix!) and we all added our own little touch to the hostel´s eclectic decorations.

Angie and I with our mountains, sealife and other random things (I apologise for the surfing Kangaroo, I was drunk after all....)



During the week I popped over to Tayrona National Park to explore its many small boulder strewn bays and coves, although I was a little disappointed at how expensive it was (20 bucks to get in, 9 for a hammock and at least 8 for each meal). Also it was pretty much exactly the same as Wilsons Promontory NP near Melbourne, same rocks, same sand, same mozzies, even down to the red lichen on the boulders....


Well it was kinda pretty I suppose

Another day was also made out at Los Angeles beach a little further out along the coast, as it was Angies day off and she wanted to show us a bit more of the area. Had a great day playing around in the sand and surf and maybe we got a little too much sun because somehow Angie and I missed the last bus back to town. With no torch, no money and no real idea how to get a ride back we shuffled back up the path to the main road and spent the next two hours frantically waving Angies mobile phone at passing cars and trucks. Of course I was playing it super cool and doing my best ¨tough Aussie bushman¨ impersonation but secretly I was getting a little worried; the middle of nowhere in Colombia at night is definitely not a great place for a spot of hitchhiking.

We did manage to get a bus back (eventually) and even a cab back to the hostel. It really goes to show that no matter how tricky a situation you get in travelling something always happens to sort it out, you just need to be patient (sometimes very patient) and just keep asking people.

Was a great time in Taganga and I could have easily spent a few weeks or even months there but in the end the show must go on, and there is still so much to see and do before Santiago. Next stop: Bogota....

1 comment:

  1. Good times, it was amazing to be part of your "adventures" and became the !!the star of the thriller! See you soon in Australia, America or the place that waves describe for us...

    ReplyDelete