Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Corn Islands and into Cost Rica

Well the trip out to the Corn Islands was a mission and a half:




Up at six for a bus out to Managua (good so far) then on arriving in Managua I found out that I´d just missed the bus to Rama by 5 min and had to wait 4 hours for the next one (sigh....) That bus ended up taking eight hours for a five hour trip (why must we stop for half an hour in every tiny town along the way???) meaning I´d missed the boat out to Bluefields on the coast and have to stay a night in Rama.







the beach in front of my cabaña


one of the many trails criss-crossing the island







Found a bed sharing a room with three girls I´d met on the boat and then went and sat out under the coconut trees on the pristine white sand beach with a few beers and guitars to watch the light fade over the caribbean......



The next morning I went diving with Eva and Maga, two Icelandic girls from my cabaña out to Grant´s cave (had to go to Grant´s cave!) and some other tunnels nearby. The water was amazingly clear and whilst there was not a whole lot of marine life about squeezing through the narrow, jagged tunnels with shafts of white light piercing the darkness at strange angles was a truly memorable experience.



The girls joking around



That night was a big party with many bottles of rum, a bonfire and swimming under the stars until 5am. The next day was unsurprisingly spent lounging around in a hammock and unfortunately not doing any more diving, although with no ATM on the island money was becoming an issue :S


So after just three days (I could have spent a month there easily) it was sadly back to the main Island and the airport.

Three days of travel later I was at the border of Costa Rica, where I find myself at the moment. Have been travelling around for the last week with Inga, a german friend from my New Zealand hostel days, more soon......








No comments:

Post a Comment